Whether you’re a teen who has never driven and insured a car before, or the parent of a teen who is just planning to drive for the first time, there is much to know about purchasing auto insurance for teen or first-time drivers. Being educated on the insurance buying process will save you time, effort and money throughout the transaction.
- If you are not adding a vehicle, the new teen driver usually needs to be rated as a primary driver on one of the family vehicles. A special form is required by the state to obtain individual license.
- Your insurance rates will typically increase when a new driver or teen driver is added to a policy. Find out if you qualify for any auto insurance discounts in your area, such as a Good Student Discount or Safe Driver programs.
- Talk with your teenager about safe driving, as well as how traffic violations will affect your rates.
- If you are buying a new vehicle, you may want to consider which vehicles get the lowest rates.
- Consider getting a Personal Umbrella Policy in the event you or your teen driver accidentally injures someone or damages their property, you could be sued.
Common facts: It’s usually cheaper to add your teen driver to the family plan versus buying separate auto insurance:
The teen shares in the savings you get for things like owning a home, being married, having an established credit history and having a safer driving record.
The teen receives a break on your rate with the family’s loyalty or long term discounts.
It costs less to insure when the rate is split across other cars than it would be to insure it by itself.
5950 Fairview Rd. Suite 305 Charlotte, NC 28210
Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Evenings & Saturdays By Appointment
Telephone: (704) 554-5701
Fax: (704) 554-9907
My husband and I have relied heavily on the advice and counsel of Chance over the years in making necessary changes or upgrades to our insurance policies. He is so down to earth and knowledgeable in his field. We look forward to having Chance oversee our policies and needs for many more years to come. He's awesome!
I receive great service from the staff at Chance Perry's office. They are very helpful in updating my information and providing me with excellent service.
Beach Insurance & Financial Services has provided all of my insurance needs for years including personal as well as business. They have always been very knowledgeable and attentive to my needs. It is a great benefit to have an agent that consults with me and truly fits my needs to the products that will protect me and my family.
Chance has been very responsive and helpful in getting my son's auto insurance set up. He was very knowledgeable and made some good recommendations. I would highly recommend Chance.